Monday, November 30, 2009

Isolated in a Faraday Cage / Are Radioactive Materials Still Affecting Huntington Workers

URGENT SITUATION: Isolated in a Faraday Cage and no longer able to tolerate any clothing


Hello,

I was electrocuted, almost 3 years ago, and develpoed a full-blown case of Environmental Illness, with both Multiple Chemcial and Electrmagnetic Sensitivity overnight as a result.  I have been diagnosed ever since that time in critical condition.

I have been homeless for 8 months as a result of this condition.

I am currently staying at a friend's place, where I am allergic to many things in the environment:  a lot of wireless signal, dust and mold.  I am able to stay here for a short time longer.

What is most challenging about my situation is I am no longer able to wear any clothing because of the degree of my Multiple Chemical Sensitivity.

I spend my time in a Faraday Cage, (that blocks wireless signals) that is set up over my bed.  There is a lot of wireless in the building where I am, and my Electromagnetic Sensitivities are acute.  I cannot be outside the cage for more than a few minutes without experiencing extreme symptoms, which worsen my condition.  And because I cannot wear clothing, I cannot go out into the world.

It is cold here in Canada, where I live.  especially needing to leave the window open to clear the air of the dust and mold in the apartment.

I do not have alternate accommodation to go to that would not trigger severe reactions.

I need a place that has:

* hardwood floors, that have not recently been refinished, and/or tile floors, (rather than carpet, vinyl or laminate flooring).

* wooden cupboards (rather than press board or malamine).

* electric or hot water heat (rather than gas, wood, oil, forced-air or propane).

* not had pesticides sprayed in it.

* is not near the laundry room or drier vent.

* has not had insecticides sprayed in the garden if there is a garden near the living space.

* has not had incense, glade plug-ins nor any other strong chemicals used in it.

* is not in close proximity to other places that have wireless technology

The usual medical and government organizations have not been able to help me with a housing search, funding for housing appropriate to my needs, any other essential needs, nor medical help, although I do have a diagnosis from my doctor.  My needs do not fit the mandates of the organizations I have approached, so I am appealing to individuals who understand my situation to help me.

I am unable to stay in homeless shelters, because of the pesticides and other chemicals they use there.

Unless i have a place to go soon, I will be in my car, without clothing, in a Canadian winter, unable to go into grocery stores or restaurants to get food.  I suppose drive-thrus could work, but I need to eat or organic or I react!

I urgently need help to find appropriate housing.

And at present, I need food delivered to the palce where I stay in the Faraday Cage, from the few places in town whose food I am able to eat.  I am unable to cook, because I need to remain in the Faraday Cage set up over my bed to avoid severe Electromagnetic Sensitivity reactions.

My bed is made up of pillows and sterile table paper, from my doctor's office.  I am allergic to all sheets and blankets I have tried, and do not have a laundry facility I try to get some clothes and bedding that could work for me, so I am cold.

I have become unable to work, because I cannot wear clothing and so, cannot go out.

i need financial help from people who understand my situation, help looking for accommodation, and help with food delivery and costs, until I am able to get into appropriate accommodation.

I would also like help to produce media stories -- help from people who are familiar with this world would be deeply apprecaited.

I would love to hear from you if you would like to help me or know of someone who might.

My story is perfect for raising awareness about Environmental Illness, how challenging it can be, and about the current lack of services available for people with this illness.

Please contact me by leaving your telephone number on my message service number:  Canada 250-384-3030.   I almost never use the computer, because of my Electromagnetic Sensitivities.

I will be living outdoors in Canada soon, without clothing nor bedding, if I am not able to receive help to find accommodation suitable to my health condition.  This could lead to hospitalization, against my will, which, according to Dr Rea, can kill a person with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, or could lead to sleep deprivation and hypothermia.

Friends and family do not seem to understand my circumstances, and so far, none are willing to make the changes in their homes necessary to accommodate me.  It has been difficult for people who do not understand this illness to comprehend the reality and urgency of my situation, and I am in great need of help.

Thank you,

Laxmi
From: laxmi <laxminow@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:48 AM

 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
 

 
DEMOLISHED BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: Are Radioactive Materials Still Affecting Huntington Workers Who in 2006 Alleged Cancer Clusters from 2004? 
 
Nov. 30, 2009
During the Cold War, Huntington contained a DOE plant involved in the production of radioactive and/or potentially nuclear materials. After its decommissioning, the remains --- except for the compressor building --- were hauled away and buried in Piketon, Ohio.
 
During a 2006 meeting with union members representatives of the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Office of Compensation Analysis and support discussed compensation for health conditions acquired due to working near contaminated materials.
 
After an exhaustive search of the internet, HNN at this time emphasizes the official analysis that current potential radiation exposure --- even at the remaining Compressor Building ---- was/is considered negligible as it results in an annual dose of less than 1 m/rem to the maximally exposure organ. (Based on CDC/OSAS documents)
 
However, worker reports taken from the 2006 meeting create unanswered questions. In fact, the internet search did NOT turn up further documents related to the local USWA and NIOSH.
 
Thus, we have a series of unanswered (or unfound) questions raised by those in attendance.
 
Don Faulkner, then a member of the USWA International Health Safety and Environment Department advised: "There is still radioactive material in the environment here. Timelines should be expanded for those still working in this facility to cover their medical bills for exposure-related illnesses."
 
USWA COMMENTS ON DISPOSITION OF SOLID MATERIAL
 
Faulkner, a member of the USWA since 1974, in 1994 became an instructor/USWA hazardous material education in Cincinnati, Ohio (Center for Worker Health, Safety and Education). During a Nuclear Regulatory Commission Workshop on Controlling the Disposition of Solid Material at Rockville, Md. In 2003, he stated:
 
"…Regarding the unrestricted release of radioactive materials for consumer use or commercial use. We do not believe there is a safe level for radiation or radioactive materials to be released back into consumer goods or products.
 
I am sure that everyone here is aware of the term "NIMBY" (not in my back yard). It is obvious that the government agencies are now taking "not in my back yard" and saying let's move it "to the front porch" or "into the kitchen" with our families.
 
I question the sincerity of the NRC, the DOE, DOD, EPA and other government agencies involved with this group when they say they are concerned with the public's safety. Contaminated material, whether it is concrete or steel from the nuclear weapons industry or from the U.S. Department of Energy from nuclear reactors, has a radioactive pedigree for tracking and controlling this material. After it is recycled the first time and reused, the pedigree will be intact. At some point, it will be reused and recycled a second time - a third time - and a fourth time. That pedigree will likely become lost. The release of radioactive material going into the consumer goods and into the public sector will continually rise. It is a reasonable assumption that when the public goes to purchase products for the office and home, the products should be free of radiation. The agency seems to be hopingthat the public's confusion will perpetuate an acceptance to these proposed higher levels of radiation to be released….
 
… It is obvious through the workshops where we have identified many orphan sources. There have been many instances of steel plants melting the sources. The NRC, DOE, DOD have lost control of the very industries and materials they are supposed to oversee.
 
On June 14th [2003] , a man in Thailand was arrested for selling on the black market what he called plutonium, to be made into a dirty bomb. They found out that the product wasn't plutonium, it was cesium 137, the perfect material for making a dirty bomb. The man was fined $240.00 and will serve one year in prison. The NRC needs to maintain the tightest control to keep this material off the black market. The US Government is quickly loosing the public's confidence when it comes to the field of radiation…. The only acceptable way is to allow disposal in NRC Licensed Radioactive Disposal Sites --- this is where the materials belong."
 
At that meeting Faulkner maintained, "The DOE is absolutely right, steel plant slag has background levels of radiation… Steelworkers are one group who would be deemed reasonably and maximally exposed in the recycling of radioactive materials whether from Federal weapon sites or commercial nuclear reactors… workers should not be forced to choose between radioactive exposure and job security."
 
QUESTIONS FROM HUNTINGTON WORKERS, and USWA International
 
Returning to the statement by Faulkner that "radioactive material" still exists in the environment here [where the former Pilot Plant existed in Huntington at the INCO/Special Metals facility], one worker maintained that in 2004 there were "ten cases of colon cancer diagnosed within a six month period in the same department."
 
Faulkner demanded answers to why "the company removed dump truckloads of records and burned them after the law [for compensation?] went into effect. How can you reconstruct someone's radiation dose when there are no records?" He asserted, "there are [still] places here so 'hot' that snow does not gather on the concrete. How do you explain that if the site is no longer contaminated?
 
Other records remain unaccounted for. For instance, the Site Profile Team found nothing indicating radioactivity monitoring during the period that K-25 scrap nickel was melted. This would have resulted in workers possible exposure to Uranium 234, 235 and 238 in contaminated nickel scrap and uranium dust of 39% enriched uranium.
 
[Editor's Note: Workers at the meeting spoke of a 1983 dismantling of the building where "dust was everywhere" during demolition. "Those workers were badged and DOE checked them periodically with Geiger counters. Sometimes they were sent to take showers or change clothing if the reading got too high."
 
But, DOE and other records stated the decontamination was between November 27, 1978 and May 18, 1979.
 
Jeri Anderson, NIOSH Health Related Energy Research Branch (HERB) and site profile author, said that rather than 1983, in 1980 "fifty-nine dump trucks and two rail car loaded with debris were buried at the Portsmouth site."
 
One worked added, "They buried the trucks too." ]
 
Previously, HNN published statements suggesting scrap from the Pilot Plant was taken to induction furnaces in other part of the facility, as well as used in tubing, scrap in the yard, melted in open hearth furnaces, and a catwalk in the Cold Draw was "moved into another part of the plant" after the 78-79 decontamination timeframe.
 
As a result, one worker in attendance asserted that in surveying working in the Cold Draw area, "twenty two of the employees had cancer, mostly kidney, bladder, and prostate cancers."
 
One structure --- the Compressor Building --- is now used for wastewater treatment. "They took out the floors and sealed the surfaces when they did the remediation," a worker said.
 
And, another worker stated, "I have been diagnosed with pseudotumor cerebra. The symptoms are similar to those of a brain tumor. The doctor is not sure what caused this."
 
Following closure of the "pilot plant" most of the employees went to "salaried positions in other parts of the company," according to the meeting notes.
 
CLEAN SCRAP
 
Based on a profile of the plant, the AEC and Union Carbide also began shipment of what a 1959 letter called "clean scrap." Clean scrap was shipped to INCO during the weeks of February 2 and 9 of 1958 (150,000 pounds) and 'contaminated scrap was shipped the weeks of February 23, March 2 and March 9 (240,000 pounds). A 1960 AEC document states that nine million pounds of scrap barrier materials were processed by INCO.
 
Some of the material came from the Oak Ridge Gaseous Diffusion Plant during fiscal years 1959 through 1961. INCO had stated it could receive "powder" at the rate of 390,000 pounds per month. Between the fiscal years indicated between 1,980,000 and 2,587,000 pounds of starting materials went through the plant.
 
A memorandum indicates the Pilot Plant shut down, Tuesday, Dec. 11, 1962, and Huntington Alloys, Inc. (an INCO subsidiary) kept the plant in 'stand by' status. Meanwhile , All classified material was removed from the facility. Production systems were then purged, drained and lubricated. Equipment instrumentation was removed and put in storage. Routine facility and equipment maintenance as well as security inspections would be performed while the facility was in stand-by condition.
 
Demolition and Decontamination
 
DOE records show that following a preliminary radiological survey it was decontaminated and demolished (classified materials) between November 27, 1978 and May 18, 1979. The materials were taken to the Portsmouth plant in 59 truckloads and four railcar loads. Clean scrap was removed by Cleveland Wrecking Company in 138 truckloads.
 
[Note: Inconsistencies are revealed in the dates, but HNN has not altered or speculated about which statements are correct or most correct.]
 
With so many 'mysteries' surrounding the Huntington Pilot Plant, HNN would like to receive reader response and input that can be submitted WITHOUT revealing any still classified, non sunset references. Contact, Tony Rutherford, trutherford@huntingtonnews.net.)