Wireless Electrical and Electromagnetic Pollution News15 April 2012
Note from Josh:
(Please remove your "manage subscription" link at bottom before forwarding message)
- For immediate release, 12 April 2012 -
Hacking Expert David Chalk Joins Urgent Call to Halt Smart Grid
"100% certainty of catastrophic failure of energy grid within 3 years unless course is changed"
VANCOUVER, British Columbia--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The vulnerability of the energy industry's new wireless smart grid will inevitably lead to lights out for everyone, according to leading cyber expert David Chalk. In an online interview for an upcoming documentary film entitled 'Take Back Your Power' (www.thepowerfilm.org), Chalk says the entire power grid will be at risk to being taken down by cyber attack, and if installations continue it's only a matter of time.
"We're in a state of crisis," said Chalk. "The front door is open and there is no lock to be had. There is not a power meter or device on the grid that is protected from hacking - if not already infected - with some sort of trojan horse that can cause the grid to be shut down or completely annihilated."
"One of the most amazing things that has happened to mankind in the last 100 years is the Internet. It's given us possibility beyond our wildest imagination. But we also know the vulnerabilities that exist inside of it. And then we have the backbone, the power grid that powers our nations. Those two are coming together. And it's the smart meter on your home or business that's now allowing that connectivity."
"The computer companies that are involved, the manufacturers that are involved, bring forward a technology and I will show you that it's penetrable," said Chalk. "I'll do it on national TV, I'll do it anywhere. But I can guarantee you 100% that there is nothing out there today nothing that can't be penetrated."
Chalk's strong words come amidst increasing reports of the smart grid's fatal insecurities, even from the governments and energy companies who are forcing their hand with the smart program. "Every endpoint [meter] is a new potential threat vector," according to Doug Powell, manager, SMI Security, Privacy & Safety, for Canadian utility BC Hydro.
And in an interview with energynow.com, former CIA Director James Woolsey was also highly critical of energy policy makers, whose plans received multi-billion dollar funding as part of the Economic Stimulus Act of 2008. "The so-called 'smart grid' that is as vulnerable as what we've got now is not smart at all," said Woolsey. "It's a really, really stupid grid."
But there's more. In an audit released in January, the US Inspector General Gregory Friedman was also highly critical. "Without a formal risk assessment and associated mitigation strategy, threats and weaknesses may go unidentified and expose the ... systems to an unacceptable level of risk," Friedman wrote.
Energy officials knew of these weaknesses but approved plans for the projects anyway, auditors said. "The initial weaknesses had not always been fully addressed, and did not include a number of security practices commonly recommended for federal government and industry systems."
And security is not the only technologically-based obstacle faced by smart grid proponents. In March, alarm bells were rung following current CIA Director David Patraeus' confirmation that governments will use wireless smart appliances to spy on citizens. "Items of interest will be located, identified, monitored, and remotely controlled through technologies such as radio-frequency identification, sensor networks, tiny embedded servers, and energy harvesters," Patraeus said at a meeting of In-Q-Tel, the CIA's venture capital firm. He added that this will prompt a rethink of "our notions of identity and secrecy."
With strong criticism to the smart grid now coming from many directions, energy corporations and governments now have the challenge to explain to an increasingly unapproving public why they continue to fast-track smart grid installations.
Citizen groups and organizations throughout the US, Canada and Europe have launched legal actions to stop the installation of smart meters. They cite issues such as cost increases, health risks, privacy concerns, grid vulnerability and the lack of democratic process. In Chalk's home province of British Columbia, Citizens for Safe Technology (www.citizensforsafetechnology.org) and the BC Coalition to Stop Smart Meters are leading a growing challenge.
Options for opting out of the smart metering program have been announced in markets including California, Maine, Vermont, Louisiana, Michigan, Connecticut, Quebec, the UK and the Netherlands. In the US, several regions including the counties of Santa Cruz and Marin are enforcing outright moratoriums.
"Unless we wake up and realize what we're doing, there is 100% certainty of total catastrophic failure of the entire power infrastructure within 3 years," said Chalk. "This could actually be worse than a nuclear war, because it would happen everywhere. How governments and utilities are blindly merging the power grid with the Internet, and effectively without any protection, is insanity at its finest."
The full video interview with David Chalk can be seen on www.thepowerfilm.org. The feature film documentary 'Take Back Your Power', which critically examines the smart grid program, will be released online this spring.
Today's report on electromagnetic fields takes a strong stand that society must acknowledge the biological effects of electromagnetic fields, educate the population about the risks from wireless technologies, and develop safer technologies. The group, AAEM, is an international association of physicians and professionals that has been dedicated to expanding the knowledge of human health in relationship to the environment since 1965, They have been first to recognize many conditions, including Gulf War Syndrome, chemical sensitivity and the role of mold in the development of systemic illness.
In its new report, "Electromagnetic and Radiofrequency Fields Effect on Human Health," AAEM is calling for:
- An immediate caution on Smart Meter installation due to potentially harmful RF exposure.
- Accommodation for health considerations regarding EMF and RF exposure, including exposure to wireless Smart Meter technology.
- Independent studies to further understand the health effects from EMF and RF exposure.
- Recognition that electromagnetic hypersensitivity is a growing problem worldwide.
- Understanding and control of this electrical environmental bombardment for the protection of society.
- Consideration and independent research regarding the quantum effects of EMF and RF on human health.
- Use of safer technology, including for Smart Meters, such as hard-wiring, fiber optics or other non-harmful methods of data transmission.
The new position paper from the American Academy of Environmental Medicine comes on the heels of AAEM's letter to the California Public Utilities Commission in January 2012.
12 Highlights from The Science
In the AAEM paper, "Electromagnetic and Radiofrequency Fields Effect on Human Health", selected highlights of the science showing biological effects from electromagnetic fields included:
- "Multiple studies correlate RF exposure with diseases such as cancer, neurological disease, reproductive disorders, immune dysfunction, and electromagnetic hypersensitivity.
- "Many in vitro, in vivo and epidemiological studies demonstrate that significant harmful biological effects occur from non-thermal RF exposure and satisfy Hill's criteria of causality.3
- "Genetic damage, reproductive defects, cancer, neurological degeneration and nervous system dysfunction, immune system dysfunction, cognitive effects, protein and peptide damage, kidney damage, and developmental effects have all been reported in the peer-reviewed scientific literature.
- "Genotoxic effects from RF exposure, including studies of non-thermal levels of exposure, consistently and specifically show chromosomal instability, altered gene expression, gene mutations, DNA fragmentation and DNA structural breaks.4-11
- "Genotoxic effects are documented to occur in neurons, blood lymphocytes, sperm, red blood cells, epithelial cells, hematopoietic tissue, lung cells and bone marrow. Adverse developmental effects due to non-thermal RF exposure have been shown with decreased litter size in mice from RF exposure well below safety standards.12
- "The fact that RF exposure causes neurological damage has been documented repeatedly. Increased blood-brain barrier permeability and oxidative damage, which are associated with brain cancer and neurodegenerative diseases, have been found.4,7,15-17
- "Changes associated with degenerative neurological diseases such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) have been reported.4,10
- "Other neurological and cognitive disorders such as headaches, dizziness, tremors, decreased memory and attention, autonomic nervous system dysfunction, decreased reaction times, sleep disturbances and visual disruption have been reported to be statistically significant in multiple epidemiological studies with RF exposure occurring non-locally.18-21
- "Nephrotoxic effects from RF exposure also have been reported.
- "RF emissions have also been shown to cause isomeric changes in amino acids that can result in nephrotoxicity as well as hepatotoxicity.25
- "Electromagnetic field (EMF) hypersensitivity has been documented in controlled and double blind studies with exposure to various EMF frequencies.
- "Although these studies clearly show causality and disprove the claim that health effects from RF exposure are uncertain, there is another mechanism that proves electromagnetic frequencies, including radiofrequencies, can negatively impact human health. Government agencies and industry set safety standards based on the narrow scope of Newtonian or "classical" physics reasoning that the effects of atoms and molecules are confined in space and time. This model supports the theory that a mechanical force acts on a physical object and thus, long-range exposure to EMF and RF cannot have an impact on health if no significant heating occurs. However, this is an incomplete model. A quantum physics model is necessary to fully understand and appreciate how and why EMF and RF fields are harmful to humans.26,27"
The AAEM position paper concludes:
"These EMF and RF quantum field effects have not been adequately studied and are not fully understood regarding human health. Because of the well documented studies showing adverse effects on health and the not fully understood quantum field effect, AAEM calls for exercising precaution with regard to EMF, RF and general frequency exposure. In an era of when all society relies on the benefits of electronics, we must find ideas and technologies that do not disturb bodily function."
For over 50 years, the American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) has been studying and treating the effects of the environment on human health. AAEM co-sponsored ElectromagneticHealth.org's program on the biological effects of electromagnetic fields at the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco in 2010, along with Citizens for Health, and endorsed the book, "Public Health SOS: The Shadow Side of the Wireless Revolution", sent to Congress in 2009, co-authored by Camilla Rees, MBA and Magda Havas, PhD.
READ MORE HERE:
We Are Not 'Opting Out'
Wireless devices damage the environment in many different ways.
Wireless devices are energy hogs. For instance, it takes three times as much energy to make a simple phone call on a cellphone compared to a landline ( http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2009/06/embodied-energy-of-digital-technology.html#more ). Wireless internet access requires far more energy than fiber optic internet access. Fiber optic internet access to the premises is the state-of-the-art gold standard in broadband. Used with hardwired modems, it is the most energy efficient, highest speed, highest capacity, and most reliable option for broadband. Furthermore, it is safe and secure.
Use of energy-wasting wireless devices, therefore, accelerates the environmental damage caused by mountaintop removal coal mining ( http://ilovemountains.org/), tar sands oil extraction ( http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/03/canadian-oil-sands/kunzig-text ), and fracking ( http://www.gaslandthemovie.com/) because of their higher demand for electricity production.
As if this were not bad enough, the pulsed modulated microwave radiation utilized by wireless devices to communicate interferes with the navigational abilities of bees, birds, bats, and a variety of other creatures ( http://www.hese-project.org/hese-uk/en/issues/nature.php?id=bees ). One study linked nest proximity to cell phone antennas to significantly poorer reproductive success for white storks, including incomplete nest construction, absence of chicks, and increased chick death ( http://www.livingplanet.be/Balmori_EBM_2005.pdf). Laboratory studies show it causes various developmental abnormalities and decreases fertility, suggesting other species likely experience decreased reproductive success ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19264463).
Microwave radiation from wireless devices has been implicated in the disappearance of house sparrows ( http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/study-indicates-big-decline-in-house-sparrow-numbers-in-urban-areas-669631.html ) and bees ( http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2010/06/if-cell-phones-are-behind-the-bee-decline-what-are-they-doing-to-humans/58994/ ). The pulsed modulated microwave radiation from wireless transmitting antennas (base stations) is defoliating and killing trees ( http://www.revistaecosistemas.net/index_frame.asp?pagina=http%3A/www.revistaecosistemas.net/articulo.asp%3FId%3D%2029%26Id%20Categoria%3D1%26tipo%3Dotros%20contenidos ).
It's not just the rest of the planet that regrets the human love affair with wireless. Many humans are experiencing health problems from exposure to the pulsed modulated microwave radiation utilized by cellphones, WiFi, baby monitors, and utility smart meters (a.k.a. AMR or transmitting meters) etc.
Many humans experience dizziness, heart arrhythmias, headaches, poor sleep, low energy, inability to concentrate, short-term memory problems, facial flushing and skin rash when exposed to radiation from wireless devices ( http://www.magdahavas.com/?s=bradycardia) . These are just a few of the symptoms of radiofrequency sickness ( http://www.electricalpollution.com). Radiofrequency sickness develops when people are over-exposed to radiofrequency radiation, which includes the pulsed modulated microwave radiation inherent in wireless devices.
Exposure to radiofrequency radiation has also been linked to an increased risk for cancer, including lymphoma, leukemia, brain tumor (cellphones), melanoma, parotid gland tumors, and breast cancer ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20693976). In fact, in spite of incredible industry pressure, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) of the World Health Organization (WHO) recently classified radiofrequency radiation as a class 2B possible human carcinogen ( http://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/pr/2011/pdfs/pr208_E.pdf). Had the IARC panel been allowed to consider all the evidence, Dr. Franz Adlkofer, former executive director of the VERUM Foundation for Behavior and Environment stated that, "the classification likely would have changed from 'possibly' carcinogenic to 'probably.'", in an October 2011 presentation at the Harvard Law School ( http://www.law.harvard.edu/news/2011/11/18_safra-center-cellphone-radiation-corruption.html ).
The use of wireless devices has increased markedly in recent years and so have the resultant radiation exposures. The pulsed modulated microwave signal utilized by wireless devices is extremely biologically active, intrinsically unnatural, and not regulated to prevent biological effects ( http://www.emrpolicy.org/litigation/case_law/docs/noi_epa_response.pdf ) These ubiquitous consumer devices have never been safety tested for animals or humans and no post-market surveillance is in place.
Show respect for the Earth. Take Earth Day to turn off your wireless devices to save energy and out of consideration for animals, plants, and fellow humans.
Additional information at:
P.O. Box 117 | Marshfield, VT 05658 US
|Former head of WHO's EMF project and ICNIRP chairman says that Brundtland has created "fear of mobiles" in the population - and 3 largest newspapers in Norway publish the news SIMULTANEOUSLY! even with different wordings - Now what are the odds without tight orchestration?.|
See the screenshots below for timestamps on the articles.
(text from Aftenbladet 12.04.2012. Machine-translated and cleaned by H. Eiriksson)
Gro has created fear of mobiles in the population
The long-standing leader of the WHO program for mobile telephony and health accuses former WHO chief Gro Harlem Brundtland for creating fear in the population. The reason is her openness about her becoming sick from mobile-phone radiation.
In a Norwegian research report Brundtland is given responsibility for that many believe they are getting headaches from cell phone radiation. This comes from a documentary about the health risks of mobile telephony in the investigative magazine Plot.
Gro is not alone
From 1½ to ten percent of the population is estimated to be electrohypersensitive, in the worst case, half a million Norwegians. It's been ten years since the former WHO Director Gro Harlem Brundtland came forward as electrohypersensitive.
"It is not the sound but the electromagnetic waves I react from. And the sensitivity has become so severe that I react to mobile phones that are closer to me than about four meters, "said Brundtland.
She was convinced it was mobile radiation that gave her headaches, and showed great understanding towards the scientists who warned of health hazards. The sensational interview went around the world, and still being discussed by scientists and NGOs.
Gro has created fear.
Michael Repacholi chaired for ten years the WHO research project on electromagnetic fields and health. It cost around 250 million dollars. None of the projects have been able to document the electromagnetic hypersensitivity. The Australian now breaks the silence in the Plot report. Asked whether he agrees that Brundtland's statement has created fear in the population, he replied:
- I agree massively! Completely agree! That was a very unfortunate thing to say. She was the ultimate in world health, said Repacholi, adding that electromagnetic hypersensitivity is particularly common in Scandinavia.
Offered to investigate Gro
Repacholi said he was refused to send out a press release from WHO about what science really knew about electromagnetic hypersensitivity. Repacholi also says that he offered to examine the WHO chief.
- I said, "If you would like to be tested, can I obtain a laboratory. Then we can investigate this. "But you know, she was three to four levels above me in the WHO. You can't tell her anything. And she is a very strong woman. She does not like to be told that this might be something psychological, Repacholi said the magazine Plot.
-Delayed work on electromagnetic hypersensitivity
Brundtland's initiative made the issue of electromagnetic hypersensitivity so sensitive within the WHO, that work on the subject was frozen until she quit the following year, said Repacholi.
In the book "Disconnect" (2010) by the American professor Devra Davis, it is even claimed that Repacholi went to the Board of WHO and branded Gro as crazy. An unnamed source is quoted that this incident contributed to her resignation as head of the WHO a year later.
- That's nonsense. Complete nonsense. I would have never been able to account for the Board of WHO. Or to get a Director General fired, said Repacholi.
Norwegian researchers point to Gro-effect
Both the WHO and the Norwegian Radiation Protection Agency refer to recognized research, that can not find evidence for electromagnetic hypersensitivity. They recognize the symptoms, but not that they are caused by mobile radiation. In a study from 2008, scientist Gunnhild Oftedal and colleagues conclude that electrical hypersensitive persons expect a detrimental effect when they are talking on the mobile phone. Therefore, the effect occurs. This is called a nocebo effect. The study goes a long way in providing Brundtland's initiative and the subsequent media coverage with a shared responsibility for the widespread fear of radiation in the population.
- It is very unfortunate that she, in her position, went out and jumped the gun with conclusions from own experiences, without having to rely on research. As head of the World Health Organization, she had easy access to such information, says Oftedal to Plot.
- Gros silence a tragedy for the world
Author Devra Davis regrets Brundtland's ten-year silence about her electrical hypersensitivity. Via Plot, she sent the following message to her:
"It is a tragedy for the world that we have lost an important, credible voice on such a difficult topic like radiation from mobile phones. Those of us who understand the complexity and importance of the field, have a duty to speak out about what we know, what we suspect and what we need to find out."
Brundtland has repeatedly been referred to the criticism and discussion of her in Plots documentary, but through her advisor, John Morland, has declined to comment.
- She still does not want to comment on this, says Morland to newspaper Stavanger Aftenblad.
Parliament's health tops Bent Tall (H) and Laila Dåvøy (KrF) believe Gro Harlem Brundtland and others who claim to be sick of mobile radiation.
Whether the mobile phone radiation is harmful, I have no idea. But people have health problems of the radiation, there is no doubt, says Bent High, led by Parliament's Health and Human Services Committee.
- I believe people who say they are allergic to mobile phone radiation, said committee member Laila Dåvøy to Stavanger Aftenblad.
Statements contrary to what the established research,
Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority and the World Health Organization says that electromagnetic hypersensitivity is not documented as a phenomenon.
Tall in no doubt
Stavanger Aftenblad wrote Thursday about the former WHO director Michael Repacholi, who for years led the research on mobile phone radiation and health. In an interview with the magazine Plot, he claimed that Gro Harlem Brundtland has created fear radiation in the population, in that she was ten years ago went public and said she got headaches from mobile phone radiation. She was head of the World Health Organization. The assertion is supported largely by Norwegian researchers.
- This is an unfair criticism of Gro. She stated that she is el-sensitive and that can not be criticized. I think there is no doubt that there are people who are el-sensitive, as some are allergic to peanuts and oranges. But from what we can not conclude that radiation, peanuts and oranges are bad for everyone, says High, who are eagerly awaiting the government's expert committee, which will soon present a report on whether such mobile phone radiation poses a health risk.
Also Dåvøy respond to the former WHO leader's criticism of Gro.
- I think it's pretty incredible and disrespectful to react the way, when Gro has chosen to be open about their problems with electrical hypersensitivity. Gro has been brave. But I find that very many will be dismissed and discredited by those who claim to be experts on this, says Dåvøy to Aftenbladet.
She knows several cases where children have been sick, and that the symptoms disappear when the radiation is removed.
- Experts say that electromagnetic hypersensitivity is something people think they have. But you can not blame children for getting sick of this because they should have heard some say they get sick of it, says Dåvøy.
Both she and Tall is skeptical of the Norwegian Radiation Protection advice in the field, and believes that Norway's policy should take greater account the fact that mobile phone radiation can pose a health problem for many people. International research shows that anywhere between 1.5 to 10 percent of the population feel that electric-sensitive.
- It is difficult to be el-hypersensitive when the Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority provides the advice they give to health authorities. Electrical hypersensitivity dismissed because, as non-existent. I think we must look more to countries like France, which has a more proactive precautionary policy than Norway. In a few years it may be too late, says Dåvøy.
Have frightened students in Korea?
The Swedish journalist Mona Nilsson, author of the book "Mobiltelefonins hälsorisker" says the former WHO director Repacholi has been the mobile industry's errand boy, and a consistent denial of health risks. She refers to research reports that will prove that all the Korean students to mouse fetuses and animals generally react to mobile phone radiation.
- So we can conclude that Gro has managed to scare the students not only in Korea but also animals and insects to be harmed by cellular radiation, Nillsson writes in a scathing e-mail to Eve magazine.
Response from Norway politicians:
Former WHO leader to launch health school
When pressed on health concerns, Mr Althaus said: "There's no identified link between the use of mobile technology and adverse health impacts." Australian Mobile Telecommunications Association spokesman Chris Althaus.
Pulsed Electromagnetic Devices Pose Health Risks
The human body as a walking RF antenna
Tumour fear cuts chatter as woman switch off their mobile phones
Why Our Urban Trees are Dying
Barrie Trower predicts economic and ecological systems collapse
Scientists manipulated research played down brain tumour risks in children
Cancer Industry: Profits Before Lives
Killer Cell Phones: Why Honeybees Are Dying Worldwide
The Latest Danger: 'Smart Meters'
SmartMeters and Electropollution
Smart Meters: not so smart an idea
Cellphones ring in alarm bells
Wi-Fi making kids, teachers sick?
Brennan Park phone tower fight looms
Money for masts
Phone mast plan fury residents in blockade
Parents worried at new mast scheme
B.C. Hydro program sparks up a storm of controversy
CTIA again tries to block San Francisco cell phone radiation ordinance
People power halts roof mobile phone mast, in Sutherland Grove, Teddington
Next-up News Nr 1818
Next-up News Nr 1820
Next-up News Nr 1821
Next-up News Nr 1822
Next-up News Nr 1823
Next-up News Nr 1824
News from Mast Sanity
Note: EMF-Omega News belongs to the Buergerwelle Germany (incorporated society), Umbrella Organization of the Citizens and Initiatives for the Protection against Electrosmog.
Editor and responsible for the content: Citizens' Initiative Omega, member in the Buergerwelle. Buergerwelle Germany (incorporated society), which works on non-profit base. Our messages are the result of many hours of daily research, roundup and editing. If you would like to support our activity for people around the world with a donation or an aid fund unique or on regular base, you can do it: Recipient: Buergerwelle Germany (incorporated society), bank-connection: Hypo Bank Augsburg, account-No 2250284, BLZ 720 200 70, IBAN: DE83 7202 0070 0002 2502 84, SWIFT (BIC): HYVEDEMM408.
Buergerwelle Germany (incorporated society), Umbrella Organization of the Citizens and Initiatives for the Protection against Electrosmog: 1. Chairman Siegfried Zwerenz, 2. Chairman Barbara Eidling, Mailing address: Lindenweg 10, D-95643 Tirschenreuth, phone 0049-(0)9631-795736, fax 0049-(0)9631-795734, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, Internet http://www.buergerwelle.de . Thank you.
If you have information which you would like to share with your friends and colleges around the world and which are from common interest, please send us this information, we will send them out.
The information in our EMF-Omega-News are derived from sources, which we believe to be accurate but this cannot be guaranteed.
We are not responsible for any errors or omissions and disclaims any liability incurred as a consequence of any of the contents of this resources.