----- Original Message -----
From: Rhonda Pomerantz-Kula
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 2:02 PM
Subject: THURSDAY APR 17TH BELL CELL TOWER DEMONSTRATION BATHURST AND ELGIN MILLS RD W 5:30 PM
Please come out to report on our Richmond Hill demonstration this Thursday at 5:30 pm.
The Bell Mobility tower was constructed despite:
- The fact that it was approved by Richmond Hill Council without discussion and most affected residents were not made aware of it. Petitions were sent to Bell outlining these issues.
- The fact that, although technically approved by council, the Mayor expressed regret by writing a letter asking Bell to stay construction due to enormous community objection and asked Bell to find an alternate site further away from residents and a daycare.
- The fact that we advised Bell executives that we have a copy of a 2006 tape of a Bell representative stating to Norfolk County council, that Bell would not consider a location near a school as " ideal".
- The fact that we advised Bell executives that the Vancouver School Board does not allow towers within 300 m of schools.
- The fact that we advised Bell executives that the Toronto school Board announced in 2008 that it too is pursuing a precautionary siting policy.
- The fact that the Chabad Rabbi, wrote a letter to Bell executives on behalf of the Jewish community. The Chabad Daycare is located at the plaza.
Bell ignored community concerns and constructed its tower. Then it put a Canadian flag atop of it. This was perceived as adding insult to injury and staking their pole in glory.
This protest is about how democracy has failed us.
PACT Precautionary Approach to Cell Towers