(Mobile use 'may help' Alzheimer's) - What the EMR experts are saying!
Well, but this seems to be completely in line with our own hypothesis.
During certain instances, microwaves (and other EMFs) can (initially) be stimulative, i.e. seemingly protective. But always remember that such effects, of course, are to be regarded as abnormal.
See e.g. the enclosed paper of mine; it points to that the immune system initially may be stimulated, but further down the road seemingly exhausted, perhaps even ending in a collapse. (We have noted similar findings for the heart; see the other paper by Hallberg Ö, Johansson O, "Mobile handset output power and health", Electromag Biol Med 2004; 23: 229-239.)
For further thoughts regarding Alzheimer, see also the enclosed paper by Hallberg Ö, Johansson O, "Alzheimer mortality - why does it increase so fast in sparsely populated areas?", Europ Biol Bioelectromag 2005; 1: 225-246
Have a very nice day!!
(Olle Johansson, assoc. prof.
The Experimental Dermatology Unit
Department of Neuroscience
171 77 Stockholm
The Royal Institute of Technology
100 44 Stockholm
Happy New Year!
As for this Alzheimer's Disease study, I am hoping to pay a visit to these researchers in Florida next week.
There are some important points to consider:
- Transgenic, genetically engineered mice are very unique animals and extrapolation to even other normal mice, let alone humans is very, very tenuous when addressing even basic biological functions. Cognitive functions are yet one more step removed in terms of extrapolation -- mice and people do not think alike. We need to know more of the investigator's reasoning in terms of how findings in these types of mice relate to human Alzheimer's Disease in general.
- The exposure system they used, with the central antenna, produces a head-first, whole body exposure. We know from our work that this is not an efficient system for exposing brain tissue and with this system it is very unlikely that the exposures to the brain were focused. Thus, there is very likely to be systemic oxidative stress reaction in the mice to the whole-body aspect of the exposure. This would include endocrine response and functional deficits related to sleep, for example, which indeed could confound the brain findings in these mice. We need to know more of the dosimetry reasoning as well as how they rationalize other confounders.
- So, on the scientific design and interpretation side, there are these and many other questions that need to be addressed before we know the degree of relevance of these findings to Alzheimer's Disease in people.
- As for relevance to Alzheimer's patients, we have known for many years that Information Carrying Radio Waves (ICRW) open the blood-brain barrier. In Alzheimer's patients with amyloid plaques, opening of the BBB could restore circulation to parts of the brain that had been 'dead' or non-functioning because of amyloid build-up. For Alzheimer's patients, that might produce a positive response for a while as now these brain cells could have restored intercellular communication facilitated by restored circulation. But remember that the BBB is a protective layer of endothelial cells in the brain vasculature, so while there might be some restored activity, that would need to be balanced against increased brain tissue exposure to heavy metals and other circulating toxins that would have brain tissue access after the BBB is breached. It is therefore possible that controlled ICRW exposure could have a limited therapeutic effect, but there would be serious potential side-effects to consider.
- Following from these pathological realities, however, it does not follow at all that use of a cell phone would be protective against Alzheimer's Disease based on these data, even taken at face value. Opening of the BBB is a dangerous proposition for normal healthy people and we know this is a definitive effect of ICRW. Further, increased brain activity, such as that reported by the investigators, is not always a good thing for a healthy person. This increased stimulation could lead to energetic imbalances, seizure disorders and other neurological problems.
- And, of course, we have the building database on other health impacts of ICRW exposure that are now predominant in the published literature. A short-term restoration of brain activity in Alzheimer's patients might not be a reasonable trade-off when it carries with it a significantly increased risk of brain cancer, other brain tumors, salivary gland malignancy, eye cancer, other neurological disorders, cognitive deficits and general quality of life impairment.
I will update you after my visit to their lab.
Dr. George L. Carlo
The Health Sciences Consortium
The Science and Public Policy Institute
The Institute for Healthful Adaptation
Wi-Fi foe sues neighbor for using electronics: Man says electromagnetic sensitivity has forced him to live in his car
The Santa Fe New Mexican
January 08, 2010
(Santa Fe New Mexican, The (NM) Via Acquire Media NewsEdge) Jan. 8--A Santa Fe man who says he suffers from electromagnetic sensitivity is suing his next-door neighbor for refusing to turn off her cell phone and other electronic devices.
Arthur Firstenberg, who has actively opposed the proliferation of wireless systems in public buildings, claims he has been made homeless by Raphaela Monribot's rejection of his requests.
Firstenberg and Monribot, who have homes only 25 feet apart in a west-side neighborhood, both declined to discuss the lawsuit Thursday.
Monribot's actions have effectively ousted Firstenberg from the house he bought last year and forced him to stay with friends or in his car, says a document filed Monday in state District Court by lawyer Lindsay Lovejoy Jr.
Firstenberg "cannot stay in a hotel, because hotels and motels all employ wi-fi connections, which trigger a severe illness," says the request for a preliminary injunction. "If (Firstenberg) cannot obtain preliminary relief, he will be forced to continue to sleep in his car, enduring winter cold and discomfort, until this case can be heard." The case has been assigned to state District Judge Daniel Sanchez, who has yet to set a hearing.
According to an affidavit signed by Firstenberg, Monribot has known about his electromagnetic sensitivity, or EMS, since May 2008, when he hired her to cook meals for him in her home. He said that after he explained his predicament, she began turning off her cell phone and computer "to spare me the pain of EMS." Firstenberg said he began to sublease a house Monribot rented at 247 Barela St. when Monribot went to France, where her husband, Jean-Pierre Monribot, is a citizen and where one of their daughters lives. But, after the landlord threatened eviction because the rent was unpaid, Firstenberg said, he purchased the house on Sept. 26, 2008, for $430,000.
When a house at 246 Casados St. -- which backs up to the one on Barela Street -- came up for rent, Firstenberg said, he notified Monribot, who rented that house in October 2008.
"Within a day of (Monribot) moving in, I began to feel sick when I was in my house," Firstenberg wrote in his affidavit. "(Monribot's) house is located 25 feet from my house. Further, because the two houses at one time were on a single lot, their electrical systems are fed from a single main cable. In fact, the electric meter for my house is mounted on (Monribot's) house. Electromagnetic fields emitted in (Monribot's) house are transmitted by wire directly into my house." Firstenberg said that when he visited Monribot in her new house, she told him she had purchased a new iPhone and leaves it turned on at all times so family members can reach her. When he asked her if she could use a land line in the house, she "flatly refused without explanation," he said.
"I also observed a computer in use, compact fluorescent lights, dimmer rheostats, and other sources of electromagnetic radiation," he said.
Monribot "agreed to phase out the fluorescent lights, but she declined to consider any limitation on her cell phone, or to turn off her computer when not in use, or to replace dimmer switches. In fact, a few days later, (Monribot) installed a wireless network for her computer. All of these devices emitted electromagnetic radiation and triggered my EMS with life-threatening reactions, which included a heart arrhythmia." Firstenberg said he looked into separating the utility connections between the two houses, but Public Service Company of New Mexico has not yet suggested any solution. He said Monribot inquired about the PNM discussions last fall, saying, "I am feeling a bit guilty." Firstenberg's motion is accompanied by dozens of notes from doctors, some dating back more than a decade, about his sensitivities.
Firstenberg, 59, said he began to experience stomach pains, memory loss and other symptoms as a medical student at the University of California, Irvine, in 1980. Since then, various physicians have diagnosed him as being extraordinarily sensitive to both chemicals and electromagnetic radiation, he said.
Since moving to Santa Fe five years ago, Firstenberg has been active in groups that have unsuccessfully tried to stop the city from installing wireless systems at City Hall and public libraries. He has also opposed the installation of cell towers in Chimayo and Madrid, a remote monitoring system for the city water system and controlled burns in national forests.
The issue of wireless systems could come to a head Feb. 10, when the City Council considers a new telecommunications ordinance, two franchises for new communication systems and a resolution asking the federal government to allow municipalities to consider health and environment consequences of cell phone towers.
Firstenberg declined to be photographed Thursday outside his home on one-lane Barela Street. The back seat of his car, a Nissan with California license plates, contained the bedding he uses to stay warm at night.
"Everybody's trying to find me," he said. "I'm trying to lay low." Contact Tom Sharpe at 986-3080 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Klinghardt Academy of Neurobiology, LLC
Examples of well-known damaging effects of energy to the body include:
- High frequency electromagnetic radiation (EMR) leads to cancer from radioactivity, and leukemia from x-ray exposure
- Light: Too much sunlight exposure (sunburn) = infrared light. Nightlights cause eye problems and decreased melatonin levels in children
- Sound: Tinnitus can come from too much noise exposure. Cancer from infrasound exposure (i.e.vibrating refrigerator, near-by freeway tunnel)
Possible sources of damaging energy to the unborn or young child include household currents and fields (cordless phones, wireless, appliances), incoming information carrying radio waves (cell phone and radio/TV broadcasting), light and noise (night light, street lights, traffic, heat pumps).
According to Dr. Klinghardt, two parameters that determine and predict the future health of a child are as follows:
- Body Voltage in the sleeping location of the pregnant mom or the infant after birth. The body acts like an antenna for ambient electric fields in the home and builds up electric tension against the ground, which interferes with numerous biological and physiological functions. Body voltage increases towards the center of the body. The measurement requires an inexpensive instrument (Multi Meter). Since our neurons operate at voltages between 80 and 120 milliVolt (mV), the threshold at which artificially induced body voltage interferes with our normal physiology is at a level at or above 80 milliVolts. The higher the body voltage, the worse. Reported damage caused by EMF includes damage to the developing neuronal networks, to cell signaling mechanisms, the epigenome, to the cell membrane ("cell membrane sensitivity") interruption or stimulation of cell signaling molecules and damage to the DNA itself.
- Microwave exposure of the pregnant mom or the infant after birth. This measurement addresses the effects of cell phone radiation (from nearby emitter), wireless technology in the home (or from neighbor) and cordless phones. Anything over 1 microWatt/square meter in the sleeping location is expected to cause biological, immunological, physiological and neurological consequences. The higher, the more devastating.
Known biomedical effects include:
- Decrease in pineal function with decreased melatonin production (insomnia, lowered immune status
- opens blood brain barrier
- Autism and other neuro-developmental disorders in exposed infants
- increased leukemia and cancer rates
- brain fog, fatigue, short term memory loss
- synergistic effect with all other types of radiation
- disturbs all known intrinsic rhythms (EEG, heart rate variability, breathing pattern, 24 hr meridian activity, bowel movements, detoxification, etc),
- blocks blood-brain and gut barrier (leaky gut syndrome) in stuck-open position leading to neurological illness (Parkinson, MS and ALS, autism,etc.), food and environmental allergies
- synergistic effect with other fields, increases mold growth and mycotoxin production in homes
- lowered immune status (decreased IL-10, increased IL-1, IL-6, decreased NK cell activity)
Environmental toxicity in the home may be framed multi-dimensionally over five levels.
The first level, the physical level, is the world of toxicity, he explained. For example, the ground may be off-gassing toxins which may enter the house and cause cancer in vulnerable individuals. The apartment may be downwind from a golf course accumulating pesticides used to perfect the lawn, leading to breast or prostate cancer. What kinds of toxins exist, and how do we choose the materials that are least toxic? For example, flame retardants are everywhere, including clothing and furniture. Fat soluble toxins, PBDE's, attach to our lipid membranes and our body becomes toxic. Breast milk is very toxic and childhood nervous disorders are rising.
The trend in the US is to make the building process cheaper and cheaper for the biggest profit. This has not been the case in other countries, but this trend is now even being followed in Europe.
The second level is the electromagnetic level. The home may be located too close to a present or future cell phone tower and cause hyperactivity in a young child. The wireless network of your neighbor may be causing your insomnia.
The second level includes the electric power lines that come into our houses. Fields from cell phones, television, and radio are not compatible with human lives. Our stress level has dramatically increased compared to fifty years ago and electric power lines are a contributor. The U.S. is the only country that has no rules for electrical wiring, said Dr. Klinghardt. Learning disorders, autism, eczema, hyperactivity and asthma may all be helped by changing the position of the bed away from power lines. Because outlets give off electricity even when they are not being used, it may be helpful to turn off the bedroom fuses at night.
The third level is the mental level. The home may be affected by the mental issues and consciousness level of the previous owners, creating insomnia for the next owners, bouts of depression or other unexplained states of un-wellbeing, or it may be too close to the busy thinking-world of the inner city. The mental field may also be determined by people who lived in the house before, whose mental states hang in each room. This mental field may perpetuate depressed or happy states. A contributing factor to insomnia is household clutter. It is important to keep a zen-like environment in the bedroom, and use organic cotton bed sheets. Non-organic cotton has become full of insecticides and is very toxic.
The fourth level is the dream world. The unseen needs to be seen, acknowledged and honored. The home may be on an Indian burial ground, for example, or a place of past trauma and haunted. The new owners may experience a series of accidents, illnesses, depression, violence and more – until they leave.
The fifth level is the level of spirit. When a home is blessed or the piece of earth that is underneath is blessed, then everyone in the house will benefit from it in one way or another.
Tissues most affected by electromagnetic energy are reproductive tissue and breast tissue, leading to miscarriage and infertility, endocrine tissues and neurological tissue. There are higher rates of development of leukemia and bone marrow cancers when people live in close proximity to electrical stations. People develop headaches when they sleep around electromagnetic fields. Chronic insomnia improves by modifying fields. Non-diabetic peripheral neuropathy may come from nerves sensitized by long-term exposure to electric fields. Migraines may come from brain sensitization. Recognition, acknowledgement and resolution of the problem will often make a major contribution to the client's recovery from chronic illness, business and relationship failure, repeated inadvertent events and other issues.