Board told roof-top device emitting microwave radiation unsafe for patients
"I'm sure other locations could be found in the community that could be safer," Anca Gaston said during a presentation to the board this week. "My recommendation would be to have it moved."
MEETS SAFETY CODE
Gaston, a masters student at
Gaston's presentation was similar to one she had given at
Gaston said that last June Industry
"It is actually more powerful, according to Industry
She presented several studies, including the Bio Initiative Report released last August. She said the hospital should be particularly concerned about the issues surrounding electromagnetic sensitivity.
"It's also a place where individuals are recovering from illness," Gaston said. "(Their) exposure to pollutants, including those we can't see or smell, should be minimized as much as possible."
NGH president and CEO Bill Lewis said the pager system was placed on the hospital because a previous system wasn't working effectively and staff members were missing pages, even if they were inside the hospital.
Board members said they appreciated the information, but weren't sure they needed to move the pager system.
"The issue isn't the paging system. The issue is Safety Code 6," Peter Hellyer said.
Gaston said this was an opportunity to stand up and tell Health
"You're in a position where you can say yes, Safety Code 6 is outdated," she said, noting it came into effect in 1999. "Everyone is suffering from this, whether Health
Dr. Mickel Macauley said he is "a little bit skeptical" because much of the information provided by Gaston was not from peer-reviewed articles. He said the "top of the line, peer-reviewed, scientific data" was missing.
"I am very skeptical. I think it is almost a political movement as much as a scientific one," he said. But, he added that there was enough information to make them question the location of the paging system.
"I would suggest we seriously think about moving it."
Copyright © 2008 Brantford Expositor